Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Just Pulled the Trigger…

Well I was right to suspect the balun! I dropped the OCFD today and inspected solder joints in the wire where I made previous adjustments. I inspected rope. I redid a couple of joints and made them stronger with more wire and solder. Not that it necessarily needed it. It was just to make myself feel better.

The SWR readings ranged from 1 to 2.5. 2.5 being the highest on the voice portion of 75/80 meters. 40m was 1.8. 20m was 1.5. 17m was 1.2. 12m through 10m was nearly 100% flat and even 6m was reading at 1.3. I did not even build it for 6m.
    [edit]: At no time did I have to use any preamp on any frequency during the auditory receive test. 10 and 12 meters were booming in from all over. 11m was impossible to listen to because I could hear Michigan stations as clearly as I could the Aussies.

Dimensions: 88.7' long side. 42.2' short side. 4:1 KB2 balun from Amazon. I noticed that some antenna builders used a 1:1 choke wired directly to the 4:1 balun. I did not consider this practice but I could change my mind next week.

I have never built a balun. I have built chokes that acted as 1:1 baluns, sort of. Here is the Amazon link to the balun I'm using. Looks like it was designed and built in America but it's 100% Chinese. So far in my limited testing it is a very good product and is in the price range of flimsy, 100 to 300w PVC enclose baluns.

https://www.amazon.com/KB2-Enterpris...0B754CC14?th=1

Using the original Fritzel OCF here, with 1:6.7 balun and incorporated 1:1 choke and 1500 watt version,worst swr 1; 1.4 80/40/20 17, 12 10 and 6 meter worked sardinie on 6 yesterday, columbia last week.
    Indesructable,airplane stainless steel wire with 4 copper wires intertwined, UV resisant plastic covering.
    Works fine for me.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution

Quote Originally Posted by PA5COR View Post
    Using the original Fritzel OCF here, with 1:6.7 balun and incorporated 1:1 choke and 1500 watt version,worst swr 1; 1.4 80/40/20 17, 12 10 and 6 meter worked sardinie on 6 yesterday, columbia last week.
    Indesructable,airplane stainless steel wire with 4 copper wires intertwined, UV resisant plastic covering.
    Works fine for me.
    I've been reading up on those, Cor. Apparently they are legendary and hold up for many many years, scores of years or until a very bad storm comes through. One account of a ham in Missouri was able to find his after a bad tornado went through his neighborhood. He spotted it on top of a debris pile that was accumulated together for the county to collect. It looked a mess but after laying it out and inspecting it he took out the kinks and he was able to use it again!

When he house was renovated i took the old one down after 20 years abuse... still worked well.
    I had a spare new one that was put up now, not planning many trips on the roof at 71 years young.
    Expensive? yes 175 euro here from Hofi, that still makes hem with original parts.
    Saying up here through storms winter/summer and 20 years without problems is good in my book...
    For 10/12/15 i use an Imax 2000 5/8 on 10/12 and a half wave on 15.
    160 has it's own vertical.
    That way i can chose between FD-4 horizontal and vertical on 10/12/15, both have no problem with my normal 100 watt or if i use the Heathkit SB 1000.
    Build like a tank....;)
    Last edited by PA5COR; 04-30-2024 at 12:03 AM.
    "If the Republicans will stop telling lies about the Democrats, we will stop
    telling the truth about them." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
    “I’m not liberal/conservative, I’m anti-idiotarian.”
    At some point in the last 20 years, the left moved to the center, and the right moved into a mental institution